Frequently Asked Questions


To receive information and join our mailing list, please visit our Request Information page. If you have additional questions that you do not see listed here, please call the IAA Office at 301.405.4686.

Request Information

What is the Institute of Applied Agriculture?

The Institute of Applied Agriculture (IAA) is a 60-credit academic certificate program at the University of Maryland, College Park. It is a department within UMD's College of Agriculture and Natural Resources (AGNR). The IAA offers eight tracks in three key concentrations: Agriculture, Horticulture, and Turfgrass. 

Graduates of the IAA earn a Certificate in Applied Agriculture from the University of Maryland, College Park. To apply, click here.

What is the Agriculture Forward at Maryland program?

Ag Forward is an accelerated program that provides first-time University students the opportunity to earn dual credentials in the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources (AGNR). Applicants have the opportunity to earn both a Certificate in Applied Agriculture and a bachelor's degree (both through AGNR) in four years.

What is the cost of tuition at the IAA? Can I pay my bill online?

IAA students pay the same tuition and fees as all University of Maryland students. Information regarding University tuition and fees can be found at this link. Admitted students can access their financial accounts and direct questions about billing and payment options to the Student Financial Services and Cashiering.

How can I apply for on-campus housing?

If you plan to live on-campus, you must submit a housing agreement and meal plan contract by the annual May 1st deadline via

Where can I find scholarship and financial aid information for IAA students?

IAA students are encouraged to apply for University-wide scholarships in addition to AGNR scholarships and IAA scholarships. We also maintain a list of external, industry-related scholarships.

Where is the IAA's main office located?

The IAA’s main office is located in Room 2123 of Jull Hall at the University of Maryland, College Park. The mailing address is:

Institute of Applied Agriculture
Jull Hall, Room 2123
4196 Stadium Drive
College Park, MD 20742
Visitor Information

What is the difference between a part-time and a full-time student?

Part-time students enroll for between 6 and 11.5 credits per semester. Full-time students enroll for a minimum of 12 credits per semester.

Are there opportunities for part-time employment on or near campus?

Yes, there are a multitude of opportunities both on- and off-campus. Visit UMD's Student Employment page for details regarding campus jobs, federal work-study, and other sources of part-time income.

What benefits and services can I take advantage of at UMD?

As a University of Maryland student, you can live on campus, purchase a meal plan, attend athletic events, utilize support services, etc. The only restriction for IAA students is that they are not eligible to be on Division 1 sports teams.

What degree do students earn through the IAA?

IAA graduates receive an undergraduate Certificate in Applied Agriculture from the University of Maryland. A Certificate in Applied Agriculture is similar in many ways to an associate’s degree (A.A.), but per the Maryland Higher Education Commission, only community colleges in the state can award associate degrees.

Are veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces who attend the IAA eligible for tuition remission under the GI Bill?

Yes. Please visit our Veteran Student Life page for details and additional points of contact for veteran students.

How do I submit my SAT/ACT scores to the IAA?

Please send your scores directly to UMD. UMD’s SAT code is 5814. UMD’s ACT code is 1746. Students are encouraged to list UMD as a recipient of their scores when they take the standardized tests so we will receive them as quickly as possible.

Which orientation session should I attend?

Newly admitted IAA students attend our New Student Orientation session in Jull Hall. You will receive the necessary information and forms for Orientation after you have accepted our offer of admission.

Do Ag Forward students need to take the University of Maryland's math placement test?

Yes. Take the Mathematics Placement Test online after you have officially accepted admission into the Ag Forward program. We highly recommend that you take a sample placement exam and review topics as necessary before you take the actual test. Certificate-seeking students are also encouraged to take the placement test if you are considering transferring into a bachelors degree program.

Can I take courses at my local community college for transfer credit?

Yes. Work with your advisor to determine which courses best fit your academic needs and visit UMD’s Transfer Course Database for a list of acceptable transfer courses. Remember to have a final official transcript sent to the IAA upon completion of all courses.

What can I do after earning my certificate?

Anything! Many students stay at the University of Maryland and complete a bachelor’s degree, while others choose to enter the workforce. Of our students entering the workforce, we have a 90% job placement rate—IAA graduates are in high demand!

How can I visit the IAA?

Simple! Join our mailing list to receive an invitation to an upcoming Open House, or call 301.405.4685 to schedule a personalized visit.