Senior Vegetable Production Manager
Homestead Farms | Posted: Jan 30 2017
Position Summary/Purpose of Position:
Homestead Farms inc, is a diversified, certified organic farm that is committed to our triple bottom line approach - nourishing people, nurturing land, and sustaining profit. Farming is our profession, and we see ourselves as both stewards of the land, and of our farm business. We are seeking a new farm leadership team member to join us as our Vegetable Production Manager.
Founded in 2001 by Alison and Luke, Homestead has grown to encompass over 600 certified acres of organic crop land, to include vegetables, grains and poultry. Over the years we have developed a robust multi channel sales approach that includes a CSA, over a dozen nationally recognized wholesale customers, direct store delivery and provide custom growing and packing for numerous other CSA’s. Even with the complexity of our operation, we run our business together with a small team of 8 hard working, dedicated, entrepreneurial, talented, smart as heck employees. A core value of Homestead is the belief in the integrity of the National Organic Program and we are proud to be Certified Organic Vegetable farmers, a successful candidate will share these values and dedicate their work to upholding Organic standards on the farm every day.
The farm is located in a vibrant and strong community, central to great education, culture and family & professional opportunities.
The Vegetable Production Manager is responsible for overall management of Homestead Farm’s 50 acres vegetable production operation. This position will work directly with Luke and Alison and have full responsibility for executing the vegetable production plan developed in collaboration with the manager. Our goal is to offer a high level of autonomy to the manager make their own day to day decisions, develop and deepen their skills, continue to grow the farm and contribute to the welfare of the organic community.
- Responsible for growing and harvesting vegetable crops on 50 acres to all organic standards, including but not limited to: planning in accordance with sales and marketing goals, cost control, labor management, quality of crop and food safety.
- Cultivate a work environment based in on strong work ethic, clear communication, meeting and exceeding production and overall financial goals, fair treatment and respect for the natural world
- Work with farm owners to insure Food Safety and Organic Certification plans are implemented and followed 100% to maintain both certifications.
- Attend and participate in company meetings as required.
- Act as an ambassador for the farm, on site and in the community.
- Other duties as assigned.
- In-depth knowledge of vegetable production, cooling and harvesting operations.
- Minimum 5 years diversified organic vegetable production experience, management experience preferred
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience
- Experience, willingness, and interest in managing 6-12 employees
- Understand budgeting and financial statements and a willingness to keep learning how to better achieve financial goals
- Knowledge of both CSA and Wholesale distribution
- Mechanical aptitude and experience operating farm equipment
- Able to lift 50 pounds, bend lift, crouch for long periods of time in all weather conditions
- Strong work ethic
- Sense of humor (or at least an ability to pretend that you think we have a good sense of humor)
- Interest in making a long term commitment to this position - minimum 2 seasons
This is a full time, year round position.
Competitive pay, health care coverage, bonus structure, continuing education opportunities, all the vegetables you can eat, and company vehicle are just some of the elements that make up a great compensation package. Details to be negotiated at time of offer and based on the candidate's skills and experience.
Apply via this link: https://homesteadfarms.recruiterbox.com/jobs/fk06tz1
Position Closing Date: