Real Food Farm Grounds Crew
Civic Works | Posted: Jan 30 2017
Position Summary/Purpose of Position:
Civic Works strengthens Baltimore’s communities through education, skills development, and community service. Civic Works’ Real Food Farm is a fruit and vegetable farm in Northeast Baltimore featuring two locations at Clifton Park and Perlman Place farm and community garden. We grow over 10 tons of fruits and vegetables to sell in East and West Baltimore every year. We also value sharing knowledge and skills about how to eat and grow good food.
Real Food Farm is excited to announce two Grounds Crew positions for the 2017 season. Members will serve with the farm managers and crew leaders, helping with all daily landscaping and greening work at the Clifton Park and Perlman Place Farms. This includes keeping the grass, paths, and rain gardens clean and attractive, caring for trees, shrubs, and flowers, and managing and leading volunteers. Joining the Grounds Crew at Real Food Farm is a great way to learn more about small farms and gain employable skills in plant, landscape, and tool care. Grounds Crew members will be able to participate in a structured training program to take their skills and knowledge to the next level. The Grounds Crew member is expected to serve 25 hours per week during the length of their term.
Ground Crew duties include:
- Maintain grounds, paths, parking areas, walkways, and equipment.
- Mow lawns, weed whack, and manage gardens, trees, and ornamental plants
- Coordinate trash and recycling for the farms and address unwanted dumping
- Help with volunteer projects
- Coordinate larger projects with production team
- Make sure that equipment, tools, supplies, and vehicles are properly used, maintained, and stored
- Complete assigned tasks within 24-48 hours
- The Grounds Crew must bring a good attitude and help out with:
- Cleaning up the farm, cooler, and office
- Participate in team meetings
- Help plan and attend farm events
- Teach other team members new skills by sharing your knowledge This is a great opportunity for anyone looking for more experience in the farm or landscape business
- Grounds crew members will:
- Attend organic farming classes
- Attend field trips to classes and farm tours in Maryland
- Help with planning planting and landscaping
- Be interested in landscaping, greening, farming, and/or the environment.
- Have a driver’s license OR be willing to get one.
- Be able to lift 40 lbs.
- Be willing to serve in all weather: rain, heat, wind, and cold.
- Be willing to start serving at or before 7:00 am.
- Be willing to learn, teach, and share with your co-workers and community.
- Send a cover letter and resume, OR a completed Civic Works application to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Grounds Crew” in the subject line. Paper applications can be sent to Bryan Alexander, Real Food Farm, 2701 St. Lo Drive, Baltimore, MD 21213.
- Visit my.americorps.gov to login or create a myAmeriCorps account and search listings for "Real Food Farm." Complete and submit application to listing. If you have any problems using the website at all, please come to 2701 Saint Lo Dr, Baltimore, MD or call 443-531- 8346 for assistance.
- Applications are due by midnight on Tuesday, January 31, 2017. Interviews will take place in January and February. The start date for this position is on or before February 27.
Position Closing Date: