Historic Site Gardener Seasonal/Intermittent (PGHSG)
| Posted: Dec 20 2016
Position Summary/Purpose of Position:
The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission, Prince George's County, Parks and Recreation, Natural and Historical Resources Division is seeking a Seasonal/Intermittent Historic Site Gardener for the Riversdale Mansion Grounds location. The candidate will be responsible for planning, managing, maintaining, and interpreting the Riversdale public display kitchen garden and orchard which represents plantings during the interpretive period of 1801 to 1821. This includes researching historically appropriate crops and developing and maintaining a planting plan.
Important Duties of the Historic Site Gardener:
- Plant, water, weed, mulch, fertilize, and prune plants, trees, and shrubs.
- Research and plan for historically appropriate crops.
- Develop and maintain a planting plan to balance considerations of historic interpretation, beauty, visitor experience, ease of maintenance, year-round interest, and food production.
- Procure and inventory plant materials, supplies, and tools.
- Monitor and manage soil fertility.
- Maintain and repair irrigation systems.
- Operate M-NCPPC equipment and vehicles, including a Gator landscape vehicle, rototiller, flame weeder, sprayers, and a wide range of manual tools.
- Scout plantings for evidence of insect and disease problems and treat as necessary.
- Coordinate with M-NCPPC grounds crews to ensure proper weeding, mulching, etc.
- Maintain, manage, and continue to develop current volunteer program:
- Schedule, train, and manage corps of ~30 gardening volunteers.
- Schedule, train, and manage interpretive garden docents.
- Coordinate with and provide seasonal produce to the Riversdale Kitchen Guild, a volunteer group who uses garden produce during their public open-hearth cooking demonstrations.
- Act as liaison with the Maryland Master Gardener program.
- Work with other Riversdale staff to develop and run public programming, special tours, and workshops.
- Manage sales of produce.
- Coordinate with off-site M-NCPPC greenhouse staff to start seedlings for later plantin
- Minimum of two years of hands-on professional experience in horticulture, agriculture, or gardening with in-depth knowledge of plant culture, maintenance, and identification.
- Organic vegetable gardening experience highly desired.
- Valid Maryland driver's license.
- Bachelor's degree in plant science, botany, horticulture, or related field, or equivalent experience.
- Ability to work outdoors throughout the year in a wide range of weather conditions.
- Ability to stand, walk, sit, kneel, crouch, or crawl for extended periods of time, and occasionally to climb or balance.
- Ability to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms.
- Ability to frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Good color vision, depth perception, and senses of taste and smell.
Salary & Benefit Information:
Click on link to apply:
Position Closing Date: