Golf Course Mechanic
NOVA Parks | Posted: Jan 11 2017
Position Summary/Purpose of Position:
GOLF COURSE MECHANIC is responsible for performing journeyman-level work in the maintenance and repair of golf course maintenance equipment at Algonkian Golf Course (Sterling, VA) and Brambleton Golf Course (Ashburn, VA). Work is performed under the general direction of the Golf Course Superintendent and/or Assistant Superintendent. Annual performance goals will be set for the Golf Course Mechanic.
Detect, diagnose and correct defects in golf course equipment:
- Determine nature of repair or malfunction by road-testing or by other means of testing.
- Recommend to supervisor whether work is to be done in house or sent to outside source.
- Make mechanical adjustments to vehicles such as performing complete tune ups.
- Make other vehicle adjustments such as inspecting and adjusting or replace brakes; replacing worn belts and hoses; adjusting valves.
- Replaces or repairs worn and/or damaged tires.
- Coordinate warranty work on new equipment between user and dealer.
- Procures bids for outside servicing and/or repair.
Perform routine servicing of golf course equipment:
- Change oil, oil filters, air filters, and other routine servicing to include lubrication and fluid checks.
- Test vehicles to ensure proper working order after repairs and/or adjustments.
- Maintain thorough and accurate records of repairs, preventive maintenance, and servicing through web based maintenance software.
Perform miscellaneous work:
- Maintains equipment inventory through web based maintenance software.
- Determine needed resources; order and maintain tools and supplies for needed repairs.
- Monitor project status and expenses.
- Ensure clean, safe, and organized work area.
- Keep abreast of current standards, practices and procedures in the golf course mechanic field.
- Assist with development of budget for equipment purchases and parts and servicing needs.
- Train golf course staff at all NOVA Parks golf courses in the safe operation and routine maintenance of equipment.
High school graduate or GED preferred.
Shop or field environment, lifting, climbing and stooping, exposure to dust, grease, and noise; work in inclement weather conditions, danger of heavy equipment.
Journeyman status as Mechanic (minimum of three years of experience; golf course maintenance equipment preferred), or any equivalent combination of education, training, or experience which provides:
- Proficiency in the diagnosis, adjustment and repair of all assigned vehicles/equipment.
- Considerable knowledge and skill in the use of mechanic equipment and tools.
- Ability to diagnose, repair and maintain small combustion engines.
- Ability to learn job related technical information and to communicate information to co-workers.
- Considerable ability to adapt available tools and equipment to a variety of repairs.
- Ability to plan work and to provide accurate cost estimates for repair or replacement.
- Ability to maintain productive work relationships.
- Possession of or ability to obtain and maintain driver’s license with safe driving record; ability to operate all vehicles and equipment for testing purposes.
- Ability to work weekends and holidays and be on call in emergency situations.
- Possession of or ability to obtain other licenses as may be required.
- Ability to make sound decisions in a manner consistent with the essential job functions.
- Regular and predictable attendance is an essential function of the position.
Salary & Benefit Information:
Please complete a full-time application online or submit your complete and current resume to the NOVA Parks Human Resources Office. Please include the NOVA Parks Opportunity Announcement Number (#16-12-15) on your resume.
Applicants with disabilities may request reasonable accommodation during the selection process.
Applications will be reviewed and evaluated on the basis of relevant education, training and experience. The top-rated applicant(s) may be scheduled for a personal interview.
The Golf Course Mechanic position is classified as a “Safety Sensitive” position. Candidates for full-time, safety sensitive positions must submit to a pre-employment drug screening and achieve a “Negative” result as a condition of employment.
How to Apply:
Apply online, send resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org, or:
NOVA Parks Headquarters
Attn: HR Administrator
5400 Ox Road
Fairfax Station, VA 22039
All buildings and vehicles of the Northern Virginia Regional Park Authority are smoke-free.
Position Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Phone: (703) 430-6033