Community Garden Coordinator
Civic Works | Posted: Jan 30 2017
Position Summary/Purpose of Position:
Civic Works’ Real Food Farm is a fruit and vegetable farm in Northeast Baltimore. We work at our home farm in Clifton Park and at our Perlman Place farm and community garden. We grow over 10 tons of fruits and vegetables to sell in East and West Baltimore every year. We also value sharing knowledge and skills about how to eat and grow good food. This year, we are hiring 1 Community Garden Coordinator to serve 25 hours/ week from February through September. More info below.
This position is a 450-hour Civic Works AmeriCorps position which includes a modest biweekly stipend, skills training, and an education award upon completion of service. The Production Assistant will gain extensive first-hand knowledge of sustainable, organic farming practices, volunteer management skills, and food retail experience. Real Food Farm will support and encourage opportunities for professional development in the sustainable agriculture field during the term. Surplus produce is available for all farm team members on a weekly basis.
Working with the farm manager and the surrounding community, the community garden coordinator will help with all daily work at Perlman Place site. Community garden coordinator tasks includes:
- Oversee Perlman Place community garden operations including design, maintenance, and winterization
- Recruit, sign up, collect and record membership applications for community garden plots) [Use existing signup form, Use existing facebook page, RFF bulletin and newsletter] ● Work with RFF staff, community garden members and volunteers on occasional farm projects
- Organize and coordinate plot dispersal
- Facilitate monthly workshops and or coordinate guest facilitators
- Provide technical assistance onsite and advice to community garden members
- Keep seed, tool, and supplies inventory for community garden
- Make sure when garden is closed for the season water is shut off and disconnected.
The farm is a quickly changing workplace that requires teamwork, cooperation, and a cando spirit. As part of the team, the community engagement assistant must bring a good attitude and help out as needed with many other duties, including:
- Clean up the farm, cooler, and office; keep both farms beautiful
- Participate in team meetings and community engagement meetings; help plan and attend special farm events
- Teach other team members new skills; share your knowledge This is a great opportunity for anyone looking for more experience in community gardening. Community garden coordinator will:
- Attend regular classes on organic farming
- Attend field trips to other classes and farm tours in the state
- Visit local community organizations and gardens Community Garden Coordinator position requires 25 hours per week from late February through September 2016.
In order to be a Civic Works AmeriCorps member, you must be: at least 17 years old; a U.S. Citizen, U.S. National, or “lawful permanent resident alien”; and able to pass a drug test and criminal and sex offender background check. As an AmeriCorps member you may NOT participate in the following activities:
- Political Advocacy: AmeriCorps members cannot engage in political advocacy. They cannot advocate for legislation or for a political candidate in any way. They cannot conduct voter registration drives or lobby government officials at any level.
- Religious Instruction: AmeriCorps members cannot engage in religious instruction. They cannot conduct religious studies, prayer groups, pastoral counseling, or any other activity promoting or providing information about religion. This does not prohibit AmeriCorps members from participating in non-religious activities at religious meetings or services.
- Abortion Referrals: AmeriCorps members cannot provide abortion services or referrals for receipt of such services.
- Clerical Service: AmeriCorps members may engage in clerical activities, such as photocopying, stuffing envelopes or answering phones for their own project. They cannot engage in these activities in assisting another person.
- Fund Raising: AmeriCorps members cannot seek in-kind donations and assist with fund raising events, mailings, or other activities, write grants (or portions of grants) or participate in capital fund raising activities or campaigns.
- Send (1) a letter of interest and a resume, OR (2) a completed Civic Works application to Myeasha Taylor, Real Food Farm, 2701 St. Lo Drive, Baltimore, MD 21213 or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Community Garden Coordinator” in the subject line.
- Applications are due by midnight on Tuesday, January 31, 2017. Interviews will take place in January. The start date for this position is on or before March 1.
- If you have any questions about Real Food Farm or the position, please contact Myeasha at email@example.com or call 443-531-8346
Position Closing Date: