AmeriCorps Urban Farmer
Civic Works | Posted: Jan 30 2017
Position Summary/Purpose of Position:
Civic Works strengthens Baltimore’s communities through education, skills development, and community service. Civic Works’ Real Food Farm is a fruit and vegetable farm in Northeast Baltimore. We work at our home farm in Clifton Park and at our Perlman Place farm and community garden. We grow over 10 tons of fruits and vegetables to sell in East and West Baltimore every year. We also value sharing knowledge and skills about how to eat and grow good food.
Real Food Farm is excited to announce three new Urban Farmer positions for the 2017 season. Urban Farmers serve as the backbone for all of the farm’s activities. Members will grow, harvest, and get the food ready to sell. Becoming an Urban Farmer at Real Food Farm is also a great way to get in-depth, hands-on training in all the aspects of small farms. Along with their regular duties, urban farmers will participate in a structured training program to take their skills and knowledge to the next level. The Urban Farmer position requires 40 hours per week during the length of their term. A part-time position might be available for the right applicant. There is an opportunity for successful farmers to continue on the following season by staying on as a summer crew leader.
Regular farm duties include:
- Plant, weed, and harvest vegetables, and all odd jobs in between
- Manage plant diseases and pests
- Use and take care of farm tools, equipment, and greenhouses
- Help lead youth and adult volunteers Urban Farmers must bring a good attitude and help out as needed with many other duties, including:
- Help sell produce on the Mobile Farmer’s Market
- Clean up the farm, cooler, and office; keep both farms beautiful
- Participate in team meetings; help plan and attend special farm events
- Teach other team members new skills; share your
- This is a great opportunity for new and more experienced farmers looking for more focused training. Urban Farmers will:
- Attend regular classes on organic farming
- Attend field trips to other classes and farm tours around the city and state
- Start and lead a personal project
- Take leadership in different farm jobs over the year (greenhouse, harvest, sales)
- Be interested in food, farming, cooking, health, and/or the environment.
- Be able to lift 40 lbs.
- Be willing to serve in all weather: rain, heat, wind, and cold.
- Be willing to start serving at or before 7:00 am.
- Be willing to learn, teach, and share with your co-workers and community.
- Past farm, greening, or landscape experience is a plus.
Send a cover letter and resume, OR a completed Civic Works application to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Grounds Crew” in the subject line.
Paper applications can be sent to Bryan Alexander, Real Food Farm, 2701 St. Lo Drive, Baltimore, MD 21213.
Visit my.americorps.gov to login or create a myAmeriCorps account and search listings for "Real Food Farm." Complete and submit application to listing. If you have any problems using the website at all, please come to 2701 Saint Lo Dr, Baltimore, MD or call 443-531- 8346 for assistance.
Applications are due by midnight on Tuesday, January 31, 2017. Interviews will take place in January and February. The start date for this position is on or before February 27.
Position Closing Date: