Maryland Tuition Waiver for Foster Care Recipients
The Maryland Tuition Waiver for Foster Care Recipients is available to foster care youth who are enrolled as a candidate for an associate, bachelor’s degree or vocational certificate at a Maryland Public institution of higher education. The purpose of Tuition Waiver for Foster Care Recipients is to provide financial assistance to foster care youth.
To be eligible for the Maryland Tuition Waiver for Foster Care Recipients program, a youth must have:
- Been placed in out of home placement by the Maryland Department of Human Resources and either;
Resided in an out of home placement in Maryland at the time he or she graduated from high school or successfully completed a general equivalency examination; or
Resided in an out of home placement on his or her 13th birthday, and was placed into guardianship or adopted out of an out of home placement after his or her 13th birthday; or
Be the younger sibling of a child who meets the qualifications stated in either A. or B. above and was placed into guardianship or adopted concurrently out of an out of home placement by the same guardianship or adoptive family.
The youth must:
- Complete and file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by March 1stof each year.
- Be enrolled on or before he or she reaches the age of 25.
- The youth continues to be exempt from paying tuition and fees until 5 years after first enrolling as a candidate for an associate, bachelors, or a vocational certificate at a Maryland public institution of higher education.
- Be enrolled full time or part time for an associate, bachelors, or a vocational certificate at a Maryland public institution of higher education
- Students are eligible to receive the Foster Care Tuition Waiver for the following semesters:
You are exempt from paying tuition and mandatory fees at a public college in Maryland. The tuition waiver only applies to tuition and fees. If a foster care recipient receives a scholarship or grant, the scholarship or grant may not be applied to the tuition for the foster care recipient.
Tuition is determined by the individual public institution of higher education and includes cost for tuition, registration fees as well as all fees that are required as a condition of enrollment. Tuition does not include room, board, books, and transportation.
RENEWING AN AWARD
You must file the FAFSA by March 1 each year to receive the waiver for up to an additional four years or until your Bachelor’s degree is awarded, whichever occurs first. You must maintain the satisfactory academic progress standards of the institution you will attend and remain enrolled in an eligible program.