Financial Aid & Scholarship Eligibility
Financial Aid and Scholarships
The University of Maryland's Office of Student Financial Aid is eager to assist with obtaining financial aid to help you achieve your academic goals. There are also numerous IAA-specific scholarships for which IAA students can apply.
Basic Eligibility Requirements
- Students must have final admission to the Institute of Applied Agriculture.
- Students must be in good standing with the Institute of Applied Agriculture both financially and academically.
- Students must enroll in and maintain a minimum of 12 semester hours.
- Students must be U.S. Citizens or permanent residents in the United States. Foreign students will be required to submit visa information.
- Students must complete all application procedures and demonstrate financial need before being considered for any form of assistance.
Students wishing to apply for financial assistance, including Guaranteed Student Loans, must submit the following to the Office of Student Financial Aid by February 15 for Fall admissions and December 15 for Spring admissions.
- A completed copy of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- Financial Aid Transcripts from all other colleges or universities attended, whether aid was received or not.
- Final admission to the Institute of Applied Agriculture.
- Male students must be registered for the draft with the Selective Service or enlisted in the armed forces if they are at least 18 years old and born after December 31, 1959.
Contact the Financial Aid Office for complete details.
Students are normally notified by mail or email regarding their eligibility for financial assistance. Eligible students will be sent a Financial Aid Award Letter which they must sign and indicate whether they accept or decline the financial aid award offer.
Students may use the Student Financial Services Portal to check the status of loans, bills and financial aid; as well as complete loan entrance interviews, find a work-study job, and search for scholarships.
NOTE: If you receive correspondence questioning your eligibility, registration status, or admission date, please contact the IAA Office immediately.
Satisfactory Academic Progress for Financial Aid
The Office of Student Financial Aid is required by Federal and state regulations to monitor the academic progress of financial aid recipients. Students receiving or applying for financial aid must comply with the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy.
Satisfactory academic standing is measured in three areas: GPA, successful completion of required number of credits per year, and receipt of a certificate in a timely manner. To request specific policy guidelines, call 301-314-9000.
A leave of absence is available for students wishing to take time away from the IAA for personal or academic reasons with the intention of returning the next semester. The leave of absence status is especially helpful for recipients of Federal Financial Aid. The student is not considered to be withdrawn, and is still enrolled for purposes of deferring repayment of federal loans. The leave of absence is only available for the last 60 days of the semester, and the student must return the following semester.
NOTE: For students using a leave of absence for financial aid deferment, only one leave of absence can be granted in any 12 month period.
With an approved leave of absence the student may automatically return the next semester, and all registration privileges will be extended.