College of Agriculture & Natural Resources
Institute of Applied Agriculture

Transfer Information

Transferring credits into the IAA:

To have previous college work evaluated for transfer credits, students must:

  • submit an Institute of Applied Agriculture (IAA) application form
  • have official transcripts from all colleges attended sent to the IAA

Official transcripts must be sent directly to the IAA from the student's prior school and must carry that school's verification seal. All official transcripts of courses taken prior to enrollment at the IAA must be submitted by the time the student matriculates at the IAA. Previous coursework will not be considered once the student begins classes at the IAA.

Official transcripts will be evaluated based on course descriptions and grades earned. Courses under consideration must be similar in content to courses at the IAA. Students may be asked to provide official descriptions or syllabi from previous courses.

Courses completed at Maryland public two- and four-year institutions may be transferred into the IAA with a grade of "D" or above, if the following conditions are met:

  • the course is equivalent in content and scope to the courses offered at the IAA
  • the grades in the block of courses transferred from the institution average 2.0 or higher

Each institution will be considered separately.

For courses from non-Maryland public institutions to be eligible for transfer into the IAA, a grade of "C" or better must be earned.

Credits for transfer courses count toward the total number of credits required for graduation. Only the credit hours are transferred; grades are not. A student may transfer up to 36 credit hours into the IAA program from other institutions.

If the credits are from programs within the University of Maryland, College Park, students may transfer as many credits as can be substituted for IAA courses.

Transferring credits from the IAA into other institutions:

Students who plan to transfer credits from the IAA to another institution should seek guidance directly from the college or department to which they plan to transfer. Only that institution can answer specific questions about its own degree requirements or the applicability of IAA courses to its curriculum. In general, IAA courses are transferable to schools in the University System of Maryland.

Transferring into a degree option at University of Maryland, College Park (UMCP)

IAA students who transfer to other academic programs at UMCP as degree-seeking students may receive resident credit for designated INAG courses. It is the student’s responsibility to notify the IAA Director of the transfer, so the courses can be evaluated.

Transferring to University of Maryland University College (UMUC)

The IAA and UMUC have an agreement that enables IAA graduates to transfer seamlessly into UMUC's Management Studies baccalaureate program. Most IAA graduates are able to transfer at least 45 credit hours into this program.


Maintained by the IET Department of the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources. © 2019. Web Accessibility