College of Agriculture & Natural Resources
Institute of Applied Agriculture

Frequently Asked Questions

Thank you for your interest in the Institute of Applied Agriculture (IAA)! To receive information and join our mailing list, please visit our Request Information page. If you have additional questions that you do not see listed here, please call the IAA Office at 301.405.4685.

  1. What is the Institute of Applied Agriculture?
    The Institute of Applied Agriculture (IAA) is a 60-credit academic certificate program at the University of Maryland, College Park. It is a department within UMD's College of Agriculture and Natural Resources (AGNR). The IAA offers eight concentrations in three key areas of study: Agriculture, Horticulture, and Turfgrass. Graduates of the IAA earn a Certificate in Applied Agriculture from the University of Maryland, College Park.

  2. What is the Agriculture Forward at Maryland program?
    Ag Forward is an accelerated program that provides first-time University students the opportunity to earn dual credentials in the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources (AGNR). Applicants have the opportunity to earn both a Certificate in Applied Agriculture and a bachelor's degree (both through AGNR) in four years. Click here to learn more and apply.

  3. What is the cost of tuition at the University of Maryland (UMD)? Can I pay my bill online?
    Information regarding University tuition and fees can be found at this link. Admitted students can access their financial accounts and direct questions about billing and payment options to the University’s Office of the Bursar.

  4. Where can I find scholarship information for IAA students?
    The IAA maintains scholarships specifically for IAA students; click here to apply. The IAA also maintains a list of regional scholarships for agriculture students.

  5. Where is the IAA located?
    The IAA is located in Jull Hall at the University of Maryland, College Park. View our Visitor Information page for full directions and a campus map.

  6. What is the difference between a part-time and a full-time student?
    Part-time students enroll for between 6 and 11.5 credits per semester. Full-time students enroll for a minimum of 12 credits per semester.

  7. Are there opportunities for part-time employment on or near campus?
    Yes, there are a multitude of opportunities both on- and off-campus. Visit UMD's Student Employment page for details regarding campus jobs, federal work-study, and other sources of part-time income.

  8. Is this an associate (A.A.) degree?
    It is not. IAA graduates are awarded a 60-credit Certificate in Applied Agriculture from the University of Maryland, College Park. Per Maryland Higher Education Commission (MHEC) regulation, only community colleges award associate degrees.

  9. How can I visit the IAA?
    Simple! Join our mailing list to receive an invitation to an upcoming Open House, or call 301.405.4685 to schedule a personalized visit.

  10. Are veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces who attend the IAA eligible for tuition remission under the GI Bill?
    Yes. Please visit our Veteran Student Life page for details and additional points of contact for veteran students.

  11. How do I submit my SAT scores to the IAA?
    The IAA's designated institution code for The College Board is 7069. Please send your scores directly to the IAA. Scores sent to the UMD Office of Admissions will not be forwarded.

  12. Which orientation session should I attend?
    You will attend an IAA New Student Orientation session designed specifically for you. You will receive the necessary information and forms by mail after you have accepted your admission.

  13. Do Agriculture Forward students need to take the University of Maryland's math placement test? 
    Yes. Take the Mathematics Placement Test online after you have officially accepted admission into the Ag Forward program. We highly recommend that you take a sample placement exam and review topics as necessary before you take the actual test. IAA certificate-seeking students do not need to take the placement test.

  14. Can I take courses at my local community college for transfer credit?
    Yes. Work with your advisor to determine which courses best fit your academic needs and visit UMD’s transfer course database for a list of acceptable transfer courses. Remember to have a final official transcript sent to the IAA upon completion of all courses.

Maintained by the IET Department of the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources. © 2017. Web Accessibility